Most of us lead a busy life and we don’t always get the time to sit down for breakfast. On that matter, a quick fruit smoothie can be the next best thing in the morning. It just takes 5 minutes to have a proper plan to make a delicious healthy smoothie and you will never have to miss out on the most important meal of the day. Also if you like, you can enjoy this cold refreshment in the afternoon to get you through those tiring days.
Yes, you can always eat all the ingredients in a smoothie separately and get the same benefits, but it becomes more fascinating when all the healthy elements turn into a pleasant color once you blend them together.
And before we get into all the details, remember that a good kitchen blender with a strong motor works best to finely puree all the necessary ingredients. If you want to make sure that the tougher dry pieces are completely broken down, it is important to add them to the blender in a particular order. In this article, we will talk about a few fruit smoothie recipes that are our all-time favorite.
Table of contents
- How almond milk tastes in a smoothie?
- Health benefits of almond milk
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Cranberry Smoothie
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie
How almond milk tastes in a smoothie?
If you are trying to make this drink for the first time and you are thinking if almond milk will taste good in your beverage or not then the answer is yes! To add almond milk into your smoothies will be the best decision for you as it’s a dairy-free and a plant-based alternative that tastes great.
Health benefits of almond milk
Almond milk is a nutritious and low-calorie drink that has become very popular these days. The main ingredients used are almonds. To prepare this beverage, you need to mix them with water and then filter the mixture to create a product that looks a lot like milk and has a nutty flavor. This milk is great for those who are not allowed to drink cow’s milk, as well as people who just like the taste.
Compared to cow’s milk, almond milk has low-calories. This information is confusing to many people as almonds are known to be high in calories and fat. Though, due to the way this drink is processed, only a very small portion of almonds are present in the finished product.
Don’t forget that unsweetened almond milk has up to 80% fewer calories than regular ones. If you want to lose weight, then deciding to use it as a replacement for cow’s milk could be an effective weight-loss strategy for you.
The unsweetened almond milk has low-sugar, which makes it suitable for those who have restrictions for sugar intake. For example- diabetic people. Though this milk has some varieties which can be sweetened so it is better if you check the nutrition label before purchasing.
Vitamin E and vitamin D
We already know that vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that can reduce inflammation, stress and the risk of disease, and on that matter, a cup (240 ml) of almond milk can provide 20–50% of your daily requirement.
It also has a decent amount of vitamin D, which provides about a quarter of the recommended daily intake in one cup (240-ml) per serving.
For our bone health calcium is very important. It prevents fractures and osteoporosis. And almond milk is enriched with calcium to provide 20–45% of a person’s daily requirements per serving.
According to plenty of researches, almond milk is completely plant-based, which makes it suitable for vegans and other people who avoid dairy products. It is also perfect for people who have a dairy allergy. As it has low-protein, so it is not advisable as a full replacement for dairy in young children.
We will talk about some fruit smoothie recipes with almond milk below.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Here you will find an easy-to-make strawberry banana smoothie recipe. This beverage will give you a healthy boost of energy by using a delicious blend of fruits, oats, greek yogurt, and almonds.
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 5 minutes
- Almond breeze original almond milk, (unsweetened), 2/3 cup
- Plain greek yogurt, or vanilla 1/2 cup
- Raw almonds, 1/4 cup
- Old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup
- Sliced bananas, about 1 medium banana, 1/2 cup
- 2 cups strawberries, frozen
- 1 teaspoon honey, (optional)
- First add the almond milk, yogurt, almonds, oats, banana, strawberries, and honey in a blender (if you are using one).
- The second step is to blend on medium speed for 30 seconds, and if you need to push the ingredients down then use the tamper. You can increase the speed to high and process until the beverage comes out smooth and creamy, for about 30 to 60 seconds.
- When everything else is done then taste the drink and add more honey as needed.
- You can make it dairy-free by using dairy-free yogurt (coconut, soy, oat), instead of Greek yogurt.
- If you are using fresh strawberries, then start by adding 1 cup of ice to the blender to create a thicker consistency.
- Know that the banana slices can be frozen for a thicker smoothie.
- Try to use ice cubes only as a last resort. As smoothies should be creamy, have a nice temper, and be thick enough to sip through a straw with slight resistance. No one likes a smoothie that is super thin or icy. At least half of your recipe should be frozen. Remember, frozen fruit yields the best result and won’t melt as quickly or reduce the flavor.
You can use this recipe of ours to have an easy and healthy orange cranberry smoothie for a nutrient and fiber-rich boost. Each sip of this beverage is blended with almonds, bananas, oranges, and cranberries.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 5 minutes
- 2 cups of ice cubes
- Cranberries 1/2 cup, (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups of orange slices, (about 2 ripe oranges)
- Orange zest, (2 oranges)
- 1 banana
- Almonds 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Cranberry juice 3/4 cup, (unsweetened)
- Almond milk 1/2 cup, (unsweetened)
- The first step is to add all ingredients into a blender.
- The second step is to blend them for about 60 to 90 seconds or until the mixture is smooth.
- The third and final step is to add more almond milk or ice as needed to achieve thickened consistency.
- Remember that cashew, rice, soy or dairy milk can be substituted for almond milk.
- Also, try to look for 100% cranberry juice that is unsweetened to avoid extra added sugar.
- Instead of honey, you can use agave nectar or stevia as a substitute.
Did you know?
Smoothies are great in terms of vitamin containment since they are made of fruits. However, there are other, essential components we can take only from meat, for example. To maintain a healthy diet, you must know why vitamins are crucial to good health.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie
It is one creamy protein-packed peanut butter and strawberry chia jelly smoothie recipe to energize your day. This has no refined sugars, only has wholesome tasty ingredients.
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
- 2 cups of strawberries, (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 medium bananas, about 2 cups ( ripe or frozen)
- 1 cup of greek yogurt, (non-fat)
- 5 tablespoons peanut powder
- 1 cup of almond milk, (unsweetened)
- 1 cup of ice cubes
Strawberry Chia Jam
- The first step is to put the strawberries in a blender for about 15 seconds until it becomes smooth. If you have only frozen strawberries then microwave the berries in a bowl for 2 minutes before blending.
- Then transfer the mix to a bowl and blend it with 2 tablespoons chia seeds. The next step is to stir the beverage.
- Allow it to sit for 20 minutes for a slightly thickened jelly or 1 hour for a thicker jelly. Put it in your freezer if you are going to use it later. If you are one of those people who like to prepare their meal beforehand then you can take 5 days in advance to make this recipe.
Peanut Butter Smoothie
- After doing previous steps rinse the blender and add frozen bananas broken into smaller pieces, yogurt, peanut butter powder, milk, and ice. Blend them for 60 to 90 seconds, until it becomes smooth.
- Then you can add the desired amount of strawberry chia jelly and peanut butter smoothie to each glass.
- For the chia jam, you can use any berries like- blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or a mixture.
- You can choose to add some natural sweetener like honey, maple syrup, agave, or stevia to sweeten the chia jelly. Though, it depends on how ripe the fruit is.
- If you like an extra layer of vanilla then add ¼ to ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- If you don’t have frozen bananas then that’s alright too. The smoothie will be a little less thick but it will still be tasty.
If you are trying to lose your weight for a while then steer clear of any beverage with calories, from soft drinks to sugary teas to smoothies to fruit juices. Remember that liquid calorie, no matter where they come from, will not curb your appetite as well as solid foods do. So, instead of crushing your fruits and veggies with a blender, you can decide to enjoy them whole.
But if you are a busy person and you have limited choice for a quick breakfast then a smoothie will be a decent option for you. According to a renowned physician, Dr. Alka Gupta- ‘If you can’t always sit down and include healthy foods, combining them into a well-rounded smoothie can be an option, if done in a healthy way, it may be better than not eating them at all.’ As smoothies have less fiber than juices so they are known to be the better choice.